cPanel is a well known, most reliable and intuitive commercial control panel for web hosting services. It is rich in feature and can be used via a powerful graphical user interface to manage all shared, reseller and business hosting services and more.
It comes with a cPanel and Web Host Manager(WHM), which makes web hosting easier for web admins:a
- WHM provides root and reseller level access interface, where users can manage settings related to server administration and account management.
- While cPanel offers user level access interface to manage a web hosting account on the server.
Features of cPanel/WHM
- Intuitive and powerful GUI to control your server with WHM.
- Now supports EV Certificates.
- Supports API Authentication Tokens.
- Now offers AutoSSL supporting Proxy Subdomains.
- Enables you to view SSL Status in cPanel.
- Supports operations such as Backups, Migrations and restorations in a very easy and smooth manner.
- Supports excellent DNS and mail server management for main server and as well as client account.
- Supports management (start/stop/enable/disable) of services on server.
- Enables you to configure SSL/TLS for all server services and client domains.
- Easy integration with Phpmyadmin manage your MySQL databases from web browser.
- Supports rebranding.
- Allows integration with WHMCS to automate billing management and so much more.
In this article, we will describe how to install cPanel and WHM on RHEL/CentOS 7 and cover initial configurations to manage cPanel and WHM.
- A clean fresh minimal installation of CentOS 7 server.
- Minimum of 1 GB RAM (but 2 GB recommended).
- At least 20GB of free disk space (but 40 GB recommended).
- A valid cPanel license.
- Standard hostname (FQDN or Fully Qualified Domain Name)
Before we proceed to the installation section, you must note these to important points:
- Once you have installed cPanel/WHM, it can’t be removed from your system. You will have to reinstall your the operating system to remove it.
- cPanel is commercial software and requires a licence to work, however, there is a 15 day trial (which is automatically activated once you install cPanel), you can install your software using the trial then purchase the software later.
Installation of cPanel in CentOS 7
Ensure that your server has a standard hostname (FQDN or Fully Qualified Domain Name), otherwise set it as follows (in this example, cpanel is the hostname and tecmint.lan is the domain name):
hostnamectl set-hostname cpanel.mimata.aeterno
cPanel is written in Perl, ensure that you have Perl installed on your server, other wise run the command below to install it on your system.
yum install perl
You do not have to run any commands to install it, there is an auto installer script built for you. All you have to do is download the cPanel installer script with the cURL command, if you don’t have the cURL command installed, first install it like so.
yum install curl
Then download the latest installer script to home directory.
curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest
Now, run the auto installer script. Note that if you have logged in the server using SSH, we strongly recommend running cPanel auto installer script in screen mode, because it takes 40-60 mins to complete the installation depending on your server resources and Internet connection speeds.
Output Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing cPanel & WHM Installer..... ____ _ ___| _ \ __ _ _ __ ___| | / __| |_) / _` | '_ \ / _ \ | | (__| __/ (_| | | | | __/ | \___|_| \__,_|_| |_|\___|_| Installer Version v00061 r019cb5809ce1f2644bbf195d18f15f513a4f5263 Beginning main installation. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 720 ( INFO): cPanel & WHM installation started at: Sat Mar 4 04:52:33 2017! 2017-03-04 04:52:33 721 ( INFO): This installation will require 20-50 minutes, depending on your hardware. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 722 ( INFO): Now is the time to go get another cup of coffee/jolt. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 723 ( INFO): The install will log to the /var/log/cpanel-install.log file. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 724 ( INFO): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 725 ( INFO): Beginning Installation v3... 2017-03-04 04:52:33 428 ( INFO): CentOS 6 (Linux) detected! 2017-03-04 04:52:33 444 ( INFO): Checking RAM now... 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): To take full advantage of all of cPanel & WHM's features, 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): such as multiple SSL certificates on a single IPv4 Address 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): and significantly improved performance and startup times, 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): we highly recommend that you use CentOS version 7. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): Installation will begin in 5 seconds. ....
Wait for the cPanel installer script to complete the installation.
How The Auto cPanel Installer Script Works
Take note that cPanel will massively modify your operating system, and this is how the auto installer script works:
- It examines various packages to ensure that there will be no conflicts and it finds any package conflict, it updates and uninstalls previous packages with yum cPanel on a Fresh OS.
- It also downloads language and base files for installation.
- Installs various Perl modules through CPAN and other required packages with yum.
- It downloads and compiles PHP and Apache with various associated modules.
When the installation completes, you’ll view the output below. You may be asked to reboot the server after installation.
After that you need to complete the installation wizard from its web based interface and you can access WHM with the following URL:
That’s it, we will discuss the configuration for usual users in the next article, thanks for reading share your thoughts in the comment below